By Alane Palmer, ND, CNC
If you search the hashtags #keto and #highfatlowcarb on Instagram, you’ll see millions—literally millions– of pictures of delicious-looking meats, fish, and eggs paired with creative and gorgeous vegetable dishes. You’ll also see photos of women looking healthy and happy, touting the benefits of this way of eating. So just what is it, and more importantly what happens when you go on a Ketogenic diet?
When you go on a Ketogenic, or Keto diet, you’ll find yourself eating protein-rich meat, seafood, and fish, high-in-healthy-fat foods such as eggs and olive oil, and small amounts of nutrient-dense vegetables. So what is it that has everyone swearing off sugar and signing on to Keto? Well, the health benefits are myriad for women. Here are just five things that happen when you go Keto.
1. Decreased appetite. Almost immediately, you’ll notice your appetite decrease. Keto food fills you up, and though you are not counting calories, you’ll find that you eat fewer overall calories without even realizing it.
2. Weight and abdominal fat come off. The diet taps into your body’s ability to use fats for fuel, so you’ll lose fat rapidly. Since you are also eating a lot of protein, you’ll preserve muscle mass, which is vital for keeping your metabolism working optimally. Burning fat while metabolizing correctly means you’ll lose weight overall, but especially the unhealthy abdominal fat that threatens women’s health.
3. Your gut gets healthy, and you reduce inflammation. After an initial transition period, numerous studies indicate that a low-carb diet can be particularly powerful when it comes to healthy digestion and digestive function. Ketosis has also been shown to support a healthy response to inflammation.
4. You’ll turn back the clock. High protein diets can have a cleansing effect on our cells. That can have an anti-aging effect on your body, including the increased health of all your organs—including your skin.
5. Healthier hormones. Higher levels of estradiol, dehydroepiandrosterone and testosterone—those were all found in higher levels in women placed on a high-fat diet than those put on a low-fat diet, according to a study published by the National Institute of Health. These hormones are vital for female health: estradiol regulates growth hormone for tissue and reproductive organs. Dehydroepiandrosterone promotes reproductive health and memory and is also a natural anti-depressant. Testosterone helps to strengthen bones and muscles and improves sex drive.
It’s no wonder, so many of us are turning to the ketogenic diet when we have weight or hormone issues! It’s not just for the sake of pretty pictures or humble brags on social media. No doubt, the Keto diet can have powerful effects on every aspect of a woman’s life.
Are you wondering if your hormones are balanced properly?
Are you wondering if your nutrient levels are optimal?
We offer a comprehensive saliva hormone testing AND a comprehensive vitamin / mineral test so people can check their levels on their own to make sure they are ok.
Saliva Hormone Testing: Click Here
Comprehensive Vitamin / Nutrient Testing: Click Here
Like us on Facebook
Medical disclaimer: Our tests cannot be used to diagnose, treat or cure any disease. All test results are to be used as educational materials and as a guide to help support your overall health and wellness. Always discuss health concerns with your medical doctor.