By Alane Palmer, ND, CNC, and Maria Cummings
Along with the summertime comes summer foods like hot dogs, chips, ice cream, artificial drinks and a lot of processed foods and snacks. Eating junk like that over the whole summer is not an option for my kids who always want to snack! I definitely do not want to see them eating junk all day long. Here are some easy, healthy snacks that my kids and I enjoy, and I think that you all will too! With little to no prepping, these snacks will not only be healthy but, they are quick and convenient too!
10 Best Summertime Healthy & Quick Snacks
1.Yogurt (Daiya and SoDelicious makes delicious dairy free options) and fresh berries is a delicious way to get protein and fiber.
2. Watermelon, only prepping you have to do is either pre-slice it or cube it for convenience!
3. Homemade Popsicle’s made out of fresh fruit, juice, or a smoothie is the perfect way to “chill-out” with a snack!
4. String cheese is easy to grab and take on the go, plus is a source of protein and calcium.
5. Hummus with veggies can satisfy the most “hangry of peeps.” You can buy one already made, but it only takes a few minutes to make, which tastes better than a store brand. Hummus is an excellent way to get your kids to eat their veggies, plus it has fiber and protein, keeping them full longer!
6. Pasture Raised hard boiled eggs are another great way to get protein, vitamin B, vitamin D, and healthy fat from the yolk.
7. Pico de gallo with corn chips is another fresh way to get veggies in.
8. Trail Mix is the nutritional way to go when you need to satisfy a “sweet-n-salty” craving. There are even gluten free options now!
9. Frozen grapes, they are refreshing and full of copper, vitamin K, and antioxidants.
10. Homemade granola bars or Energy bars. You can control your ingredients especially if your child has food allergies. Check out Pinterest for some delicious ideas.
See how easy snacking can be! You just have to think outside of the “processed food” box;) What I like most is that when you are making snacks that call for a little preparation, you can alter ingredients that work for you and your family. Including as I mentioned before, if your child has a food allergy, you can swap one of the ingredients out for another.
Many moms and dads have the challenge of helping their kids figure out if they are suffering from food allergies like dairy and gluten. If you suspect that there is a food allergy or intolerance in your home, then why not find out for sure with our Food Allergy Test Kit if there really is an allergy or an intolerance? Our kit tests for over 180 delayed food reactions. With our Food Allergy Test, you can be sure that you are feeding your family the right type of healthy snacks!
To check for food intolerances, click here!
This summer you can make a snack and relax when you Know that you made the right food choice!
Like us on Facebook
Medical disclaimer: Our Food Allergy Test Kit (IgG & IgE) and all tests cannot be used to diagnose, treat or cure any disease. All test results are to be used as educational materials and as a guide to help support your overall health and wellness. Always discuss health concerns with your medical doctor.